Monday, September 19, 2011

Beer Review - Hottenroth by The Bruery

Tonight I am drinking a Hottenroth by the Bruery.  I have enjoyed all the beers I have had from the Bruery so far, and this one doesn't let me down.  The beer is a BerlinerWeiss, and comes in at about 3.1 ABV. This is a style I only have had one other time, and I really liked the Festina Peche by Dogfish Head, but this isn't about that beer so I will stop talking about it.

The first thing I noticed is the extreme pale color of this beer, not even gold or yellow its nearly clear. The color reminds me a lot of a cider, and it took me about half a glass to get out of my head that it in fact wasn't a cider. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I love ciders, almost as much as beer...

The nose is tart, really tart, also there is a hint of what I think is the Belgian Yeast that the Bruery uses in this beer.  The first sip is a bit surprising, because again I have cider on my mind, there is fairly highly carbonation, but not where it hurts to drink.  There is a tartness all the way through my drinking of the beer, which for me is the mark of a very good beer. That's sort of where it ends, there isn't much else going on in the beer, although I do pick up a bit of citrus and some yeast.  The lack of any other flavor isn't awful, I like the tartness that dominates this beer, and it's super drinkable as I would expect from this style.

Overall I really like this beer, but this beer, and the style, isn't for everyone.  If you like tart or even sour beers this would be great, but if you are unsure tread lightly with this beer.  As for me, I can see myself scaling buildings all day in the summer, then sitting down for one of these as a replacement for lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment